Morgan Mitchell is an Australian track and field athlete, two-time Olympian and global ambassador for F45 Training.
Mitchell’s interest in the sport stemmed from seeing Cathy Freeman run for the first time at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. She has since been a semi-finalist in the 400m at the Rio Olympics, before moving on to run the 800m. in his second Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Here, she joins the 9Honey Coach series 5 fitness questions.
1. We are always promised “the secret” to getting and staying healthy. What’s yours?
Mine is to drink lots of water and have a shot of apple cider vinegar. You can thank my mom for that “secret” haha.
2. What is one thing you know about health now (be it training, eating, or general wellness) that you wish you could go back in time and tell yourself five or ten years ago?
That recovery is important, I never really cared about taking care of my body until later in my career and I feel like I’m paying for it.
Know when to rest, stretch, foam roll, etc. It is very important to get to the next training or competition.
3. What is your nutrition philosophy?
Maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle with my diet, but don’t take it too seriously and ask for professional help when needed.
4. What is one area of your own health, fitness, or wellness that you are working to improve? Is there a goal you’ve set for yourself or a skill you’re trying to master?
Definitely my recovery and pre-hab. The older I get, the more I need it and want to be consistent with it.
For me, I try to stretch every morning for 15 minutes and for an hour at night. I find that this fires up my body in the morning and then resets my body and mind at night. When I stretch out alone in a quiet place, it feels like I’m meditating.
5. What small, practical step would you take if a friend asked you for advice on something they could do to improve their health starting today?
If your destination is less than 2km away, walk, don’t drive. I learned that lesson abroad in Europe, where most locals use a bike to get around. I feel like you are not only helping the planet, but also naturally adding overall fitness to your day.
For a daily dose of 9Honey, Subscribe to our newsletter here.